Re: file/printer sharing

> My questions:
> 1.  Does anyone have any links to documentation on how I can nab apple shares
> (like printers and files) over a mac network using a pc box?

Printers: netatalk & pap. Apple file servers: don't think that's possible.
A kernel filesystem module for afp was not continued beyond the 2.0 kernel
series, and even if it worked at some point you'd have to be pretty fluent
in VFS internals to know what needs to be changed (dcache comes to mind as
the first change after 2.0 but there's been more).

> 2.  Same goes for sharing files/printers from the linux pc box to other apple
> shares.

netatalk & papd/afpd.

> 3.  I haven't seen to much mentioning a QMS 2060 printer.  Will I need to
> have a linux pc driver or is it possible to send it as straight postscript to
> the Mac's printer?

Is that a PS printer? I'd asssume; most of the Mac network printers were
PS devices. In that case, just use the Linux print queue to use pap as
output driver (I think there's been examples in the netatalk docs).

> I have to admit I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the Mac (I'm learning
> quick;-).  If the man pages are good enough then I'll stick to those but I
> was curious what kind of resources are out there before I take the plunge.

netatalk should be fairly straightforward to set up. For papd print queues
on the PC you'll need the PPD file for your printer, and convert that with
mac2unix. I've had out Linux fileserver set up as papd print spooler for a
couple of Macs until LprNG came along.

	Michael