Re: FEEDBACK WANTED: What to do about XF86Config-4 BusID?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:10:47AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:59:44AM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > Note, the busid thingy is also usefull on non ppc boxes.
>
> It's not a question of whether it's useful, it's a question of whether it's
> NECESSARY.  I haven't heard reports about any other architecture
> *requiring* an explicit BusID in the XF86Config-4 file for the server to
> work.  If that proves to be the case, I'll add them to the list.

Sure, make as you feel best, i was just telling you that i use a busid on i386.

> Anyway, my debconf templates are intended only to get the majority of
> configurations working.  That means single-head usage.  Anything more is
> icing.

Sure, but you asked for feedback.

> > Especially for multi-function devices.
>
> Did you not see the part about grepping for a VGA controller?

Does that mean you will only configure the first head, and let the user do the multi-head stuff by himself ?

> 00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
> 00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
> 00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)
> 00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 16)
> 00:07.4 SMBus: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
> 00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

None of them are graphic boards, are they ?

> This is clearly a multifunction device, and yet not all devices show up as
> performing the same function.

In my case, i have a Appian Jeronimo 2000 board, which has a gamma chip (t&L
and agp bridge) as 01:00.0, and two permedia3 chips (3d setup and renderer) as
01:00.1 and 01:00.2.

Not all devices are the same, and only the first pm3 is listed as being VGA.
I don't have the the lspci output here, but i can send you it tommorow.

Now, this is a special case, but i guess all the 3dlabs Oxygen board with a
gamma chip come in this category, as well as the GMX2000 on which the DRI was
first tested and designed. Some even have 2 permedia3/4 chips, which can be
used on the same display.

Also, you can choose to speak to the pm3 directly (as is done on single pm3
boards) or to access the pm3 (or both of them) trough the gamma chip, in a similar manner of what i think is done in the matrox g4x0 dual headed case.

Filling a device section for all chip, with it's correct busid would be nice,
but then sure it can be done by hand. Even XFree can be installed by hand, no
problem there ...

> > I admit they are not that common, but still it would be nice to have the
> > same handling also for these cases., especially in the case >1 bus
> > entries.
>
> Does anyone have any USEFUL feedback?

Sorry, just ignore it, if you don't find it usefull.

Friendly,

Sven Luther