Re: Question regarding BenH kernels(and others for that matter)

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, John Hughes wrote:

> Ok, so I have pretty much figured out that the destination kernel is
> not the one on kernel.org. So, where is the home of the "Stable PPC
> Linux Kernel"?

It is on kernel.org, but it is in the v2.2 directory.

PowerPC patches are being fed into Alan and Linus's kernel sources, but
this is a slow process. In the 2.2 series, it took until about 2.2.13 (?)
for the mainstream kernel to work reasonably. By 2.2.16 the kernel.org
sources were perfectly stable on PowerPC, and they still are in 2.2.19.

Eventually Linus's 2.4 kernel will work on PowerPC, and it will become the
preferred stable kernel for end users.

For now, 2.4 is still "in development" on PPC, and is only recommended for
kernel hackers or for users who need features not in 2.2.19. There are
other PPC trees that may have less experimental work than Ben's, but these
are still developmental:

 http://penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml