Re: offset x screen

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:58:42PM +0200, Duncan Sands wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2001  6:29 pm, Bruce McIntyre wrote:
> > Hello all. I am the proud owner of a powermac 7300 (which uses the
> > `control' video chipset). Using the  unstable x packages is very strange,
> > as my entire screen is offset to the right. The part that would be missing
> > is on the left of the screen. Depending on the resolution i set in the
> > config file the offset is about 64, or 32 pixels. I have discovered a
> > similar effect in fbi (the framebuffer image viewer.) but the offset here
> > is usually in the other direction! To conserve my precious (16mb) memory, I
> > have compiled my own 2.4 kernel with only control video suport. This might
> > be a contributing factor. x under various flavors of 2.4 gives the same
> > results. Has anyone else expirienced this problem?
> > Once I have this problem fixed, evangelisation will be sooo much
> > easier..... _grin_
>
> I had the same problem.  Try running X at 15bpp.
>
> Duncan.

I have done this now, but problem is not yet fully solved. There was a small improvement
though, with the wrap-point moving to around 20 or so pixels from the left.
here are my XF86Config-4 device, screen and monitor sections:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Apple Internal"
        #    HorizSync   31.5 - 57.0  # this is the advertised range for the
	                              # Apple Multi Scan 15av.
				      # when used, this would prevent hi res modes
				      # from working

        HorizSync   30-64         # standard multisync -- this worked fine with the stable XF86
	VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "FBDev"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    # unsupported card
    # VideoRam    2048
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "FBDev"
    Monitor     "Apple Internal"
    DefaultDepth 15    # this was 16 but tried 15 in response to the above quoted post

    Subsection "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes     "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
            Depth       15    # ditto above comment
            Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
            ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"

     Screen "Screen 1"

I hope this helps...and hope this isn't too long for you all.