Re: nVidia support: Where to start?

Michel Dänzer wrote:

Tony Arnold wrote:

> I'm thinking of trying to "fix" nVidia support on ppc, but I have
> absolutely no idea where I should start. Would I be better off
> trying to fix 'rivafb' in the kernel, or the 'nv' driver in
> XFree86?
[deleted for brevity]

> Could the gurus and non-gurus alike please enlighten me? Which
> driver would be more 'proper' to fix?

If I had to deal with this (I'm glad I don't) I'd start with the
XFree86 nv driver because it offers more benefit (decent 2D
acceleration, XVideo, ...) .

I've had a thought about these things, and there is a third,
possibly crazy way to go.  Start with (insert groans or expletives
here) MacOSX.  Get all those nasty binaries related to the nvidia
driver (don't even try to reverse engineer that stuff, it will
likely give you a headache).  Find out where the Darwin code calls
this code, and how it does this (I believe that most of the calls
are, conveniently, OpenGL type calls).  Kludge that stuff into your
system.  It is dirty, probably unstable (if it is anything like my
MacOS9.04 it will be) and ugly, and probably a huge memory hog, but
it might work.  It might also be quicker than trying to work out
how one of those things works.

Now, if you will excuse me, I will go get an asbestos suit and a
fire-extinguisher :-p.

Cheers,

Kin Hoong