Re: "Can't read superblock" booting 2.4.anything"

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:52:33AM -0700, John Andersen wrote:
> For some reason, any 2.4 kernel I try and boot (I've compiled two from
> Benh's tree, and got 1 deb from walters and 1 deb from Jonas) I get the same
> error:
>
> it tells me it can't read the superblock, make sure I have a valid partion,
> etc and throughs me into single user mode.  If I try and fsck it tells me
> the file or directory doesn't exist, yet I can mount it and see everything.
> e.g.:
>
> mount -n -o remount,rw /      #works fine
> e2fsck /dev/hda11                #"bad superblock, etc try e2fsck -b 8193
> <device>
> e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda11  #tells me "no such file or directory while trying
> to open /dev/hda11" superblock cound not be read, blah blah
> mac-fdisk /dev/hda              # also tells me "no such file or directory"
>
>   Booting stock 2.2r3 kernel 2.2.19 works fine.
>
> I'm on a Titanium PowerBook, triple booting MacOS 9.1, MacOS X, and
> DebianPPC.  /dev/hda11 is my root partition.

 You're _sure_ hda11 is your root partition?  If you've got devfs on in
the kernel, but you're not running devfsd, /dev/hda11 won't exist.
You didn't show us the output of ls on any of these device files, so
we don't know if it's e2fsck's fault or not, but I imagine it isn't.

> Anyone no what my problem is?

 probably devfs.  Try using ls to see if the files are there.  With
devfs, you want /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part11.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y