Re: [RFC] Proposed transition plan for adb -> linux keycodes

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 07:22:32PM -0700, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > * console-data when upgraded from previous versions will check the
> >   status of the dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes sysctl:
> > 	- If the sysctl does not exist at all we have either a custom,
> > 	  misconfigured kernel, or a very old potato kernel.  Explain
> > 	  this situation and what to do about it [2].
>
> I believe that this sysctl only exists on systems with *both* H the new
> input layer *and* CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES. This was true as of 2.2.17, but
> I haven't tested empirically since then.

no its not true of 2.2 kernels, it apparently is on recent 2.4
however.

eb@socrates eb$ uname -a
Linux socrates 2.2.19 #2 Sun May 6 00:02:40 AKDT 2001 ppc unknown
eb@socrates eb$ grep ADBKEY /boot/config-2.2.19
# CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES is not set
eb@socrates eb$ /sbin/sysctl -a 2> /dev/null | grep keycodes
dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1

> I this is correct, then we can't use the sysctl to distinguish old kernels
> with no new input layer from new kernels with no adb keycodes.

it won't work with 2.4 kernels yes.

any other suggestions are welcome.

--
Ethan Benson