Re: dropped network connection

This is a hardware problem with the built-in ethernet (I had the same
problem with a beige G3 233MHz running LinuxPPC about a year ago).

Here is what Apple has to say:
A 10/100 MB auto-sensing hub polls the interface to determine the
speed. In the process of the hub attempting to determine the interface
speed, the Ethernet driver in the Power Macintosh G3 computers is
performing a self diagnostic. Unfortunately the Ethernet driver
completes the self diagnostic before the hub has determined the link
speed and therefore determines that the network is down.
(http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n22119)

I fixed the problem by getting a Tulip PCI ethernet card and using
that instead.

--
Tracey Sebold