Re: Kernel

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:57:48PM -0300, Ricardo Pardini wrote:
> Ok, this was probably asked a thousand times, but I couldn?t find it
in the June/2001 archive so I thought I better ask. I run a beige G3
with Debian, running the default 2.2r3 installation kernel (2.2.19). I
am trying to compile, or install a kernel-image, a 2.4 kernel. The
kernel-source available in unstable doesn?t compile. Anyone got
directions (I tried penguinppc.org but couldn?t figure out where to
download sources... doh).

apt-get install rsync
cd /usr/src
rsync rsync://penguinppc.org/
  [output]
  linux-2.4-benh  Ben's 2.4 Tree (aka, the PowerMac tree)
  linux-2.4-ppc64 Linux for Power3/4 Tree (experimental, not pmac related)
  yaboot          Ben's Yaboot Tree

rsync rsync://rsync.penguinppc.org/linux-2.4-benh  linux
cd linux
make menuconfig  (or make xconfig, if you like)
     turn off devfs support, unless you know about and want devfs.
make vmlinux modules modules_install
cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-<version#>  (or whatever you need to do to boot)
cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version#>
cp .config ../config-2.4    (this one is just so you'll have a copy
     other than the one which rsync will set back to the default after the
     next update)

> Also, I do boot my machine with BootX. Is it even possible to boot 2.4 with BootX?

 Yes, it works for me.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y