Re: IBM 830 Install problems...

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 04:47:52PM -0700, Hamish Mehaffey wrote:

> 	Finally, I know that floppy support for install/booting isn't functioning
> right now, but has anyone had any success making a working rescue
> disk? If I dd rescue.bin it's not marked as PReP bootable, and so it doesn't

the rescue.bin image on powerpc is totally useless for anything except
dbootstrap's `install Operating system and drivers' step.

its an ext2 floppy which pretty much no firmware can understand, and
since powerpc firmware is deficient in its refusal to load bootblocks
there is no way for that thing to ever boot anything....

> boot. Any help or advice on any of these problems would be deeply
> appreciated, this is my first time setting up Linux on a PPC (although I've
> set it up a few times on X86 w/o problems), and I've never hit problems
> this early into the
> installation before, so I'm not even sure where to start. Thanks,

getting people with this hardware involved in the boot-floppies would
be a Good Thing, thats the only way this stuff will get fixed since we
have not enough info, no hardware and no ability to test.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/