Re: unsupported display? (dual scan on PowerBook 2400 & G3)

In article <B75C86EF.1F84%lhs@russisk.no>,
 lhs@russisk.no (Leif Halvard Silli) wrote:

> Hello -- is the 'dual scan passive matrix' displays unsupported sofar in any
> PPC distribution? Will woody make any difference for this?
>
> I tried YDL 2.0, which claim to support all WallStreet PowerBoog G3's. But
> during install I found that I could only read the what was happening
> (regardless of whether I used X-installer or Text installer) if I connected
> my PB to an external montior and looked at that monitor instead of the
> internal display. But of course, when the installer came to X-install, it
> stopped any how so...
>
> This made me look into other distros [and from what I have read, I have
> almost been converted to Debian]. Just before writing this mail I tried to
> boot into LinuxPPC as well as into Debian. THe result was the same on both:
> a splitted unreadable screan. Only the black and white boot start up view,
> was readable...
>
> I have found a note on the web about problem with dual scan on THinkPad
> 750c. See <http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/#X> Perhaps it can give someone
> a clue about how to deal with dual scans... Though the problem here seems
> not to only be with X as even the text installer creates the same problems.
>
> Of the G3-powerbooks, the 233mhz wallstreet is the onlyone wiht dual scan
> display. There is also one version of the 2400 PowerBook which has dual
> scan. LinuxPPC claims to support both the 2400's and the G3's. But since
> dual scan is relatively seldom on the PCI-macs, I fear that they have been
> left out. The rest of the dual scan power books are also few and counts for
> pb's which generally aren't considered to work with Linux (like 1400
> series).
>
> Does someone have an idea what needs to be done? Can I type something into
> the command line in BootX? Or is it undoable? Perhaps I must donate my
> precious PB to a developer...? Perhaps I *must* try BSD or OS X? I hope
> not...

I didn't have any trouble installing debian (potato) on my 2400c, but I
don't remember exactly what I used for the BootX arguments. You might try
   video=ofonly
to use the built-in OpenFirmware video.

--
Michael Blakeley       mike@blakeley.com     <http://www.blakeley.com/>
            Performance Analysis for Internet Technologies