FTP tranfer stalls

Hi all!
I've got a puzzling problem with my ftp server and I'm hoping someone might
be able to offer an investigative starting point.

FTP server (I've used both wu-ftpd and just now installed ncftpd) stalls 2/3
to half-way through large file transfers. (transfers of only a couple of
megabytes) This only happens when I'm accessing the machine from outside the
network. If I use the machine's internal IP number, boom. File goes no
trouble. I'm plumb smart enough to figger out something about my router
(Cisco 675) might be amiss, but I'm sure not clever enough to begin
imagining how I might configure the machine for a smoother experience.
Any thoughts?

--
Jamie Hutt
Basement dweller, huttstuff.com