Re: XFree86 4.1.0: Cannot read V_BIOS (5)

Ani Joshi wrote:

> > I beg to differ as everything works fine without it, but let's not start a
> > fight about this.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "everything works fine without it"

This thread is about the X server segfaulting in an inb(). That simply doesn't
happen without the syscall.

> because without the syscall implementation, X was just setting the iobase to
> MAP_FAILED and port IO operations for ppc look like this:
>
> static __inline__ void
> outb(unsigned short port, unsigned char value)
> {
>         if(ioBase == MAP_FAILED) return;
>         xf86WriteMmio8((void *)ioBase, port, value);
> }

Thanks, I'm pretty familiar with this code...

> As I'm sure you will agree, this isn't "working", this is just doing
> nothing until the problem is solved.  Which it is now.

No it's not. The situation is getting slightly better now (was worse in
between) but nowhere near solved as it doesn't cover a variety of cases.
You're ignoring that just like the boards needing legacy VGA were ignored
before.