Re: XFree86 4.1.0: Cannot read V_BIOS (5)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> Now, please enlighten me: Which Mac cards need to have the VGA mode saved?

All Mac Banshee, Voodoo3, and Voodoo5 boards for example.

> I beg to differ as everything works fine without it, but let's not start a
> fight about this.

I don't know what you mean by "everything works fine without it" because
without the syscall implementation, X was just setting the iobase to
MAP_FAILED and port IO operations for ppc look like this:

static __inline__ void
outb(unsigned short port, unsigned char value)
{
        if(ioBase == MAP_FAILED) return;
        xf86WriteMmio8((void *)ioBase, port, value);
}

As I'm sure you will agree, this isn't "working", this is just doing
nothing until the problem is solved.  Which it is now.  The syscall is
indeed working for you because if it wasn't you wouldn't be having the
server running at all, all your pio operations would have failed.

ani