Re: SCSI I/O errors galore, PART II

On 29 Sivan 5761, Andrew Sharp wrote:

>> that is understandable since all of Apple's oldworld builtin scsi
>> was 5MB/s only.
>
> You mean the drives were only 5MB/sec?  I can believe that, but the
> MESH controller will do 10MB/sec sync.  I say that with a crack in
> my voice, because my experience with this controller is that it
> doesn't work too dang well.  With some drives it just plain can't
> handle the higher speed.  But with some drives it can.

I have been configuring my kernel for 10MB/s for some time now, and it
seems to work OK at full speed for the four internal drives in my
Power Mac 8600/250:

scsi0 : MESH
mesh: target 0 synchronous at 10.0 MB/s
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL ST4300S  Rev: 0F0D
mesh: target 2 synchronous at 10.0 MB/s
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34520N          Rev: 1498
mesh: target 3 synchronous at 10.0 MB/s
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM CR-8024    Rev: 2.0e
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: J.03

Now, the external bus is recognized separately and that of course only
runs at 5 MB/s:

scsi1 : 53C94
  Vendor: GENERIC   Model: CD-R CRD-R800S    Rev: 1.20
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 250           Rev: H.41
Charles Sebold                                       29th of Sivan, 5761
--
LISA:  "Only one person in a million would find that funny."
FRINK: "Yes, we call that the 'Dennis Miller ratio.'"

  -- from Simpsons episode, "They Saved Lisa's Brain"