Re: mozilla - 5 processes using 149Mb

Ethan Benson wrote:

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 09:18:21PM +1200, Alan Macdougall wrote:

Vital stats: Pwer Macintosh 7600/200MHz/64Mb running Woody.

Mozilla 0.9 seems a bit of a hog.  (This is build 2001052403 downloaded
from Ethan's penguinppc repository.)

Typing "mozilla" at the command line seems to cause 5 separate processes
to be started, taking in total 149Mb of memory (accorting to gtop).
Given that I only have 64Mb of real RAM and 50Mb of swap it doesn't take
much to end up thrashing the disk and an unusably slow experience.

no its not.   rtfm these are threads, there is only one process, not 4
and its not taking 149MB of ram.

In this case, I'm sure you are right. But if I use the mozilla browser and mail/news for more than about a half hour, the memory usage does indeed climb to 90-100 MB- yes, that's what's reported on each thread! Killing windows doesn't help- in fact, the memory usage seems to increase slightly when I close a window, and then much more when I re-open it. The program is one great big memory leak!

[Nautilus, on the other hand, frees quite a bit of memory when you close a window, especially if it's got embedded mozilla in it. I would guess Konqueror is similarly considerate.]

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>