Re: mozilla - 5 processes using 149Mb

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> > The Gnome System Monitor help docs say: "No two processes will
> > have the same number." Therefore my assumption that the five lines
> > I was seeing in gtop were separate processes was perhaps
> > reasonable, given that they all had different PIDs.  Threads are
> > not mentioned.

> does not change the fact that these are threads not separate
> processes.

> > Further, the memory usage panel (set to show resident memory)
> > seemed to be adding the resident memory totals for these threads
> > together to come up with the 149Mb figure. This absurdly high
> > figure seemed to be borne out by the incredible disk thrashing
> > that occurred whenever I used Mozilla for just a short time.

> that tool is broken then, or you don't understand its output.  mozilla
> is NOT taking 149MB of ram.  its taking 29.

I think the missing information this person wants to know is that
under linux, threads get seperate pid's.  It's in the manual, but
finding the right manual might not always be easy.  So anyway, to
answer the question, yes, they are threads, and mozilla is a
tremendous hog.

> > Anyway, the bottom line is that on my machine, Mozilla is unusably
> > slow.  Are there any lighter alternatives around?

> w3m

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=w3m&archive=no

Although it seems to work now... I suspect the problem was with the
GC.  Wonder if that got updated.

--
David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/