Re: mozilla - 5 processes using 149Mb

On 17/6/01 at 1:45 AM, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> > Typing "mozilla" at the command line seems to
> > cause 5 separate processes to be started,
> > taking in total 149Mb of memory (accorting to
> > gtop). Given that I only have 64Mb of real RAM
> > and 50Mb of swap it doesn't take much to end
> > up thrashing the disk and an unusably slow
> > experience.
>
> no its not.   rtfm these are threads, there is
> only one process, not 4 and its not taking 149MB
> of ram.

I'm still confused, even after RTFM (very old-skool). There's obviously
no hope. :-)

The Gnome System Monitor help docs say: "No two processes will have the
same number." Therefore my assumption that the five lines I was seeing
in gtop were separate processes was perhaps reasonable, given that they
all had different PIDs.  Threads are not mentioned.

Further, the memory usage panel (set to show resident memory) seemed to
be adding the resident memory totals for these threads together to come
up with the 149Mb figure. This absurdly high figure seemed to be borne
out by the incredible disk thrashing that occurred whenever I used
Mozilla for just a short time.

Anyway, the bottom line is that on my machine, Mozilla is unusably slow.
Are there any lighter alternatives around?

later

Alan