Woody Boot Floppies Report

Okay,

No success just yet. I was able to boot using the kernel and booted into
the ramdisk (named root.bin), but the kernel panicked. (I'm a holdout
for BootX, BTW. I still like it, and I'm still dual booting, as I share
my computer with the computer illiterate :-) The error message is:
Exception PC C00D7980 Signal 4. So, I rebooted using the same kernel,
and every thing was peachy.

The install was going well according to the steps laid out, until I got
to the install kernel modules part: I got unresolved symbols errors for
several of the modules (sorry I don't remember which ones, I'll take
better notes next time) and the installer wanted the directory structure
to be like it expected: powermac/images-1.44/rescue.bin. I had to rename
the directory holding images-1.44 to powermac from something else...

The next thing was setting up the network. To my surprise, when I chose
to set things up via DHCP, it worked. Or so I thought...when I try to
connect to the net, I can't, because I have DSL connection that uses
PPPoE. This is where the base tarball would have helped me out a lot.
When installing potato, I downloaded the PPPoE client from
RoaringPenguin software, which compiles nicely once I download all the
gcc stuff and related libs (separately on my Mac partition, and
manually, one by one, before I begin my install :-)...I did this in the
middle of the install because dpkg is available from the base tarball, I
think. I can't seem to be able to do this from the Woody installer.

So, I got stopped at the network. I'm going to have to figure out a way
to get dpkg working so that I can install PPPoE and whatever it depends
on (still have my list from potato, actually, and PPPoE is GPLed).

It seems that the Woody boot floppies are attempting to be boot once, do
a complete install from there, and keep on truckin' after that; Rather
than boot once, get some basic stuff working, reboot, get the rest of
the system going...

Russell
I don't care if you're going nowhere,
Just take good care of the world.