Re: Migrating a pismo to a journalling filesystem

"Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 06:22:49PM +0200, Andrei Verovski wrote:
> > >I've been using an ext2 /boot and a reiserfs /, for over a month using
> > >1.2.1.
> > >

> > I'm, too, but on PC. On my iBook Indigo yaboot completely refused to work
> > with ext2 /boot and reiserfs /root. Tried everything, then just erased
> > ext2 /boot. Seems like black magic rather than technology rigth now.
> > Anyway, I would not recommend such combo to anyone.
>
> its not black magic at all, its called the `partition=' configuration
> variable.  install the yaboot from woody and rtfm. (the yaboot.conf(5)
> man page in potato did suck somewhat since it was based on quik's.
> the one in woody is based on silo).
>
> with woody's yaboot all you would have to do is setup your ext2 /boot
> and run yabootconfig.

For example, here is the relevant piece from my setup:

boot=/dev/hda9
device=hd:
timeout=50
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
partition=10
root=/dev/hda13
default=Linux
defaultos=linux
init-message="Welcome to Amadeus running Debian GNU/Linux!"

image=/vmlinux
	label=Linux
        append="video=aty128fb:crt:1"
	read-only

And my partition info:

#            type name                    length   base   ( size )  system
/dev/hda1    Apple_partition_map Apple        63 @ 1      ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2    Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         54 @ 64     ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3    Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         74 @ 118    ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4    Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh       54 @ 192    ( 27.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5    Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh       74 @ 246    ( 37.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda6    Apple_FWDriver Macintosh        200 @ 320    (100.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda7    Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh    512 @ 520    (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda8    Apple_Patches Patch Partition   512 @ 1032   (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda9    Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap      2400 @ 1544   (  1.2M)  Unknown
/dev/hda10   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 boot         100000 @ 3944   ( 48.8M)  Linux native
/dev/hda11   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap         524288 @ 103944 (256.0M)  Linux swap
/dev/hda12   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home        7556160 @ 628232 (  3.6G)  Linux native
/dev/hda13   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root        7556161 @ 8184392 (  3.6G)  Linux native
/dev/hda14   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 packages    5734400 @ 15740553   (  2.7G)  Linux native
/dev/hda15   Apple_UNIX_SVR2 build       2104183 @ 21474953   (  1.0G)  Linux native

/dev/hda9 is the bootstrap partition for yaboot
/dev/hda9 is the ext2 partition ofr my kernels (mounted on /boot)

The rest are reiserfs.

jas.