Re: xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 for powerpc at X Strike Force repository

Branden Robinson wrote:

> > - the generated XF86Config locks up the machine on r128 Notebooks. The
> >   Device Section needs either Option "UseFBDev" (only works with aty128fb)
> >   or "ProgramFPRegs" "No" to avoid that.
>
> Okay.  This is something I can make dexconf do, but I have a few questions.
>
> 1) Which is preferable?  "UseFBDev" or "ProgramFPRegs" "No"?

I'd prefer UseFBDev, but it only works with aty128fb.

> 2) Do these have applicability outside the "ati" driver?  ("r128" is a
> sub-driver) (I'm pretty sure "UseFBDev" does apply generally)

They're all driver specific options, "UseFBDev" is the same for all drivers
which use fbdevhw, but the others are r128 only.

> 3) Is "UseFBDev" something that should be set for all XF86Config-4's
> generated on powerpc machines?

I think that would be good. The question is what the drivers do when it's set
but the required framebuffer device is not available. They might fail, but
that's better than a lockup isn't it?

> 4) Is "UseFBDev" something that should be set for all XF86Config-4's
> generated on machines that are using fbcon?

Same as 3).

> 5) What is the canonical way of saying in shell:
>    "if using_fbcon; then"?
>    (Probably something to do with /proc.)

/proc/fb contains the list of available framebuffer devices. Beware that
"UseFBDev" doesn't work with generic ones like OFfb, vesafb, vgafb, are there
more?

> > - Xkb doesn't work with Macintosh keycodes anymore, used to work with
> > 4.0.3
>
> A debconf frontend to XKB is a nightmare waiting to happen.  :(

These packages are better than 4.0.3-x in the sense that they set the model to
"macintosh" instead of "pc104", too bad Xkb is broken now...

> > - working DRI for r128. You'll need to build your own kernel module (only
> >   2.4 supported) for this. http://xfree86.org/~alanh/ has a tarball for
> >   that purpose. DRI rocks! :)
>
> Folks should try out "glxgears" in the new version of xbase-clients.

Yep, hadn't tried that yet, thanks for the hint.

Other packages I find worth checking out: armagetron, bzflag, csmash,
evas-demo, fsv, glaxium, lightspeed, space-orbit, ssystem, tuxracer,
xlockmore-gl, xracer, xscreensaver-gl.

Unfortunately, flightgear oopses on me. Curious if it works for others.

> Also, I'm strongly considering a creating a debconf template for xlibmesa3
> that yells at you if your kernel is too old to support DRI.  The last thing
> I need are a bunch of Quake players running 2.2.19 yelling at me..."1 KANT
> G3T HW ACC3L3RASHUN!!! U SUCK!!!1!11!!"

:)

Good idea, unless the current DRM will be backported to 2.2 .