Re: xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 for powerpc at X Strike Force repository

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:45:25PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> And they work for me, with a few caveats:

Glad to hear it!

> - the generated XF86Config locks up the machine on r128 Notebooks. The Device
>   Section needs either Option "UseFBDev" (only works with aty128fb) or
>   "ProgramFPRegs" "No" to avoid that.

Okay.  This is something I can make dexconf do, but I have a few questions.

1) Which is preferable?  "UseFBDev" or "ProgramFPRegs" "No"?

2) Do these have applicability outside the "ati" driver?  ("r128" is a
sub-driver) (I'm pretty sure "UseFBDev" does apply generally)

3) Is "UseFBDev" something that should be set for all XF86Config-4's
generated on powerpc machines?

4) Is "UseFBDev" something that should be set for all XF86Config-4's
generated on machines that are using fbcon?

5) What is the canonical way of saying in shell:
   "if using_fbcon; then"?
   (Probably something to do with /proc.)

> - Xkb doesn't work with Macintosh keycodes anymore, used to work with 4.0.3

A debconf frontend to XKB is a nightmare waiting to happen.  :(

> Other than that, no problems (Neither on my work machine, an Athlon with a
> Matrox G450) so far. Keep up the good work Branden!

Thanks!

> - atimisc driver (for mach64 chips) should work out of the box, much improved
>   compared to 4.0.x

I know a person with a Wallstreet that will be very happy to hear this.

> - working DRI for r128. You'll need to build your own kernel module (only 2.4
>   supported) for this. http://xfree86.org/~alanh/ has a tarball for that
>   purpose. DRI rocks! :)

Folks should try out "glxgears" in the new version of xbase-clients.

Also, I'm strongly considering a creating a debconf template for xlibmesa3
that yells at you if your kernel is too old to support DRI.  The last thing
I need are a bunch of Quake players running 2.2.19 yelling at me..."1 KANT
G3T HW ACC3L3RASHUN!!! U SUCK!!!1!11!!"

Thanks a lot for the report!

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The only way to get rid of a temptation
Debian GNU/Linux                |    is to yield to it.