keymap in X

Successes on my newworld G4 Cube -Rage128:
-Debian again boots by default
-console works now with the right "german" console-maps.
     (as symbols I also now can type \,@,~,|,{[]} )
-I also got X working with xserver-xfree version 4.0.3-3

With 'startx' I can start icewm as the default wm.

But....
Working on X is not very useful.
Because, what and where I type in the X environment -be it into xterms
or somewhere else- I only get weird characters.
I.e. I don't get typed the signs that I press on the keybord.
Even pressing 'Enter' gives a comma sign on the screen.

How to get the right (german) ?keymap? in X?

Perhaps it is useful to give the few lines of my
XF86Config-4 refering to the Input devices.

--------->8----------------------------------------------------
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"