Re: Install on 466 MHz G4?

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:27:40PM -0600, Mark K. Gardner wrote:

[snip]
> 6) When prompted to set up booting from the hard disk, I escape to a
> shell and install yaboot:
>
>   mkofboot --boot /dev/hda9 -m /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot --root \
>     /dev/hda11 --partition 11
>
> 7) Finally I reboot expecting to finish the Debian install. Instead
> MacOS boots.

Because the nvram didn't get changed.

Here's what _should_ work:
Boot the debian install CD, but tell it root=/dev/hda11, so that it runs your
install not the installer (or it _should_, I haven't used the CDs).
After doing the normal configure/setup stuff, apt-get install yaboot, so
you have yaboot/ybin, then configure /etc/yaboot.conf so that it has the
bootstrap as hd:9 and root is hda11 (or so, this is from memory..)  Also
uncomment the nonvram bit and oh yeah, apt-get install powerpc-utils, so
you'll have a good nvsetenv/et al, and run ybin.   Then reboot and you
should be able to go into linux.  Since you said you had linux/os9.1/osx going
before I'm assuming you've configured ybin/yaboot before. :)

Something akin to all of this worked on my G4/466 a while back...

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/