Re: reiserfs empirical study (very long)

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:27:11PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:59:43PM -0400, Rahul Jain wrote:
>
> > The PPC users only started complaining a week before that. (Good think, too,
> > since next week I start my job where I'll be playing with Linux 2.4 on an SMP
> > RS/6000. Unfortunately, IBM doesn't have debian as a supported distro...)
>
> that can be fixed, i think all that is required is boot-floppies
> support, please help boot floppies, give us info, send patches, test,
> etc.

I don't know if it's an issue of debian not supporting IBM or IBM not
supporting debian. For all I know, debian's installer could work find on the
box I'll be testing, but unless IBM gives the `thumbs up' to debian, it's not
an option as far as my boss is concerned.

> even a small start would be helping me get better RS/6000 support in
> ybin, since the boot-floppies completely rely on ybin to make
> yaboot systems bootable.
>
> if you don't have a RS/6000 and have some coding exp or know how to
> test EXPERIMENTAL BROKEN CODE then testing boot-floppies is a help
> too.  (emphisis on broken because current boot-floppies code is broken
> and not ready for normal users/installs).

I can probably help with this _if_ IBM decides to list debian as a supported
distro.

> anyway if im being subtle boot-floppies always need more help thats
> half the reason releases take so long.  (its why freezing has not
> started yet).

yeah, I know this from trying to help Zoltan Kraus get XFS into the
boot-floppies. Either no one knows about boot-floppies, or those that do know
how messed up it is and don't want to try helping. ;)

--
-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=- mailto:rahul-jain@usa.net -/- <-