Re: Xfree86 and 7200/75

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:43:35PM +0200, morten wrote:

> On 30-May-2001 Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > morten wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm starting to wonder whether or not it was a good idea to install the
> >> xf86_fbdev in my 7200/75. It works, but it seems kind of slow and I don't
> >> suceed in enhancing the resolution nor the color depth from 640x480 8 bpp.
> >
> > That's either a limitation of the framebuffer device (in particular OFfb
> > can't
> > change the resolution) or misconfiguration in XF86Config.
> >
> would it be too much to ask for a sample XF86conf from a 7200/75 with more than
> 640x480 resolution?

Experimenting with a similar machine, the PowerCurve 150, led me to conclude that
it is necessary with that machine (but not, for example, the 7600) to follow
some special limitations in the XF86Config file:
 * list only one mode in each Modes list of the Screen section
 * explicitly list the virtual resolution as being the same as the physical rez

For example, for 1024x768 I needed
    Modes "1024x768"
    Virtual 1024 768
    ViewPort 0 0

Of course get your monitors HorizSync and VertRefresh specs correct first and
probably start with 800x600 resolution.  When I found this problem with the
PowerCurve I also found that I could not switch resolutions on the fly, even
though every resolution in my Modes list had been tested individually and
proved ok.  Something is weird?

YMMV

--
   Garry Roseman