Re: reiserfs empirical study (very long)

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:57:03AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> I would actually like to hear more about these discussions.  Are
> there any archives?  Are they too old?  Geez, if some silly person
> wants to take a disk from one machine to another, well, that is what
> vfat is for, no?  ~:^)

no its not, take this scenerio:

setup PowerMac biege G3 as a file server, equipped with HUGE data (not
OS) disks with of course real filesystems (read not that vfat
garbage).

some time later this old beige G3, either kills itself in some way not
effecting the disk.  or maybe its just too slow, flaky whatever.

there happens to be a decent Pentium box laying around that will
replace the beige G3 quite nicely, or perhaps an upgrade is done and
its decided that x86 (or name your favorite opposite-endian arch)
hardware is a better deal as far as costs/whatever.

move disk over, see that filesystem is incompatible, swear and curse
loudly.

ill ignore the possiblity of some coverter program to change the on
disk endianess, that would be 1) slow and 2) dangerous and 3)
inconvenient.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/