Re: reiserfs empirical study (very long)

* on the Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:05:38AM -0700, Andrew Sharp was blubbering:
> If you find yourself in a situation where the normal recovery mechanisms
> of reiserfs don't work, the file system is most likely so fubared that
> reiserfsck won't be able to do much.  But it might.

I've got plenty of experience with that, having had a defect RAM which
trashed the filesystem. That's precisely the point where reiserfs can't
grant the integrity of the filesystem. Actually, no filesystem can. And
that's where you need an fsck.

>From those 10 or 20 times I ran reiserfsck on a corrupt filesystem,
it was always able to fix it. I had once the problem that it
segfaulted, and the disk was inaccessible for some days, but with a
newer version even that could be fixed.

Peter
--
"Any good Unix security engineer can clean up any Unix box. But I'm not
 sure there are people even within Microsoft who know how to clean up