Re: basic installation on 7200/75 (sucess)

morten wrote:

> On 29-May-2001 Adam Goode wrote:
> >>
> >> i don't know about this, sounds like the crappy ethernet chips used in
> >> these machines.
> >
> > Indeed it is! And the result is that "pump" kills your connection. Try
> > setting up a static IP address during the install, then switching to
> > dhcp-client later.
> >
> I have installed potato enough to boot from hte hdd. So I am modifying the
> config files directly, and I thought I would add a net driver in the
> modules.conf - with the proper parameter of course.
> Are you suggesting that I remove eth0 completely and afterwards I install
> eth0 manually with a staic IP?

editor /etc/network/interfaces

I have here for eth0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.1.6
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.0.1.0
        broadcast 10.0.1.255
        gateway 10.0.1.1

When you have configured it for your needs, run

/etc/init.d/networking restart