Raw I/O doesn't work

I can't get raw i/o to work on my titanium, running unstable and benh
kernel.  I have the latest util-linux package and the latest everything
else as well.  When I try to make a raw device for my DVD player, I issue
the command "raw /dev/raw0 /dev/hdc", and I simply get the usage message.
Even "raw -qa" just gives me the usage message.

I have created the raw devices with major 162 and minor 0 (raw) and 1
(raw0).  When I use strace, I can see that the raw program is not making
any system calls at all, except the write() the usage message.  Shall I
assume that raw i/o simply doesn't work on ppc?  Is there a particular
kernel option that I need to switch on?  grep RAW /usr/src/linux/config
didn't turn up anything interesting.

Regards,
Jeffrey