Re: Problems with limited numbers of partitions

Ethan Benson wrote:

eh?  since when do ibooks use scsi disks?  in linux ide disks may have
up to 63 partitions.  MacOS your only limit is the number of file
descriptors available, eventually if you have so many HFS partitions
mounted (each with all that desktopdb crap open) you run out of file
descriptors and thus can't do anything.  since linux partitions are
invisable to Macos they don't cause that problem.  the mac partition
table format has no real limit on the number of partitions, you can
keep creating them until you run out of space in the partition table
partition (which is 31K by default).

Thanks for the tip.  It would appear that the whole lot does indeed
work as you say (at least for the 2.4.4 kernel I have), once I figured
out to look in /proc for the majorand minor numbers to feed mknod
(the kernel will happily find the first 20 partitions, and then stop
looking).  I guess there is only one way to find out if there is some
hidden, nasty bug---try it.

Cheers,

Kin Hoong