Re: debian network install via PCMCIA?

At 2:10 AM +0200 5/25/2001, Claus wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2001, Michael Blakeley wrote:

 >: Anyway, I can boot into the debian installer without a problem, using
 >: the debian linux file as the BootX kernel and root.bin as ramdisk
 >: (both from the potato powermac subdir). But I get a generic error
 >: when I try to start the PCMCIA software for a network install. I also
 >: get the same error when using the debian ramdisk.img.gz file as the
 >: ramdisk.

what about using your linuxppc2k vmlinux as BootX kernel,
copying all modules, System.map + pcmcia/config.opts to the debian side?

I tried that, and got a panic when cardmgr tried to load. Did I forget to mention that in my first message?

Then I remembered that something pretty similar happened when I installed LinuxPPC-2kQ4 for the first time. I had to install LPPC with all cards ejected, then build my own kernel and modules before PCMCIA would load ok.

So I downloaded enough .deb files to build my own kernel and pcmcia modules (that's base, dev, and libs, if you want to keep it relatively simple). I let the debian install die horribly, used dpkg -i to install gcc, make, and dependencies, and built a 2.2.18 kernel and pcmcia 3.1.24 from source.

That got me a working WaveLAN card, and I seem to have a working system now. There may still be some oddities lurking in various places due to the way I short-circuited the original install, but apt-get check returns no errors and everything seems to work.

I have no idea why copying my working LPPC kernel and modules didn't work. My experience, though, has been that I _have_ to self-host the kernel and PCMCIA modules for both LPPC-2kQ4 and debian-potato. It's a step up, actually, since I never did get PCMCIA working with the previous 2000 rev of LPPC (1999 worked).

-- Mike