cdparanoia and the 7200

I installed cdparanoia-3a9.7-2 with dselect, then tried to run it in
query mode:

    craigc@scooter:~$ cdparanoia -vsQ

    cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
    (C) 1999 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

    Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

    Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Could not stat /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory

A quick check of /dev shows that, indeed, there is no cdrom device. A
quick check of dmesg shows that my kernel *does* know about the
internal SCSI CD-ROM:

    scsi0 : 53C94
    scsi : 1 host.
      Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: FIREBALL ST3.2S   Rev: 0F0C
      Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision:
02
    Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
      Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM CR-8005    Rev: 2.0d
      Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision:
02
    Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
    scsi : detected 2 SCSI generics 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk total.
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11

A quick symlink of /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 later:

    craigc@scooter:~$ cdparanoia -vsQ

    cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
    (C) 1999 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

    Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
    http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

    Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
            /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
            No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
/dev/sr0

Hmm. Listing the whole of the /dev directory turns up devices scd0
through scd16 that are owned by group "cdrom". Symlinking /dev/cdrom
to /dev/scd0 produces the same results as for /dev/sr0. I also tried
/dev/scd1 and /dev/scd3, but both gave the error "Could not access
device /dev/scd[13]: No such device".

Looking further through /dev, it turns out that sr0 is a symlink to
scd0. Okay, that makes sense.

Further perusal of the copious output generated by "cdparanoia -vsQ"
suggests that there may be hope for devices sg0 through sg16. After
some trial and error, I discover that if I (1) symlink /dev/cdrom to
/dev/sg1, (2) chgrp /dev/sg1 to "cdrom", and (3) chmod /dev/sg1 to
"g+rw", I can get cdparanoia to acknowledge my CD-ROM and recognize
an audio CD.

Is there a better way to have done this? A safer way? (The sg*
devices were originally chowned root.root, with access mode 600.)
Should /dev/cdrom, and whichever device to which it is supposed to
point, have been set up automatically when I installed? If so, who do
I notify?

--
Craig S. Cottingham
cottingham@mac.com