Re: Little-endian sound broken on TiBook/dmasound_pmac?

Daniel Kobras wrote:

> Is 16bit little-endian sound working for anyone using dmasound_pmac? I've
> tried with various pristine 2.4 kernels as well as benh's latest 2.4.4 an my
> TiBook. (Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3 it reports.) Big-endian sound
> output works fine. Little-endian sound on the other hand produces only
> garbage, and I very much suspect it's the wrong endianness. /dev/sndstat
> tells me that the soft format is correctly set to little-endian, hard format
> is big-endian though, so I suspect the hw byte swap isn't working correctly.
> I'd really like to know whether this problem is specific to TiBooks, or if
> there's a general bug in the dmasound_pmac driver.

The latter.

Recent Apple sound hardware (Pismos and G4s as well AFAIK) can't do the byte
order conversion. Iain Sandoe put software conversion in the dmasound driver
at some point, but that's arguably a wrong approach. Of course it shouldn't
advertise the ability to play little endian when in fact it can't...