Microspeed MacTrac 2.0 trackball, button events, and mousemode

I am hoping someone can give me some feedback on my efforts to
get a Microspeed MacTrac 2.0 trackball working on my 7500
w/XLR8 carrier & 266 G3.  My basic problem is that I'm not
getting any button press or release events with either GPM or
as reported by xev.  Here's where I'm at:

1)  If I boot with the trackball plugged into the adb port, I
need to stop GPM from running (it's set to start on boot up)
and restart if to see a GPM cursor.  Once I do this, I get a
cursor that behaves appropriately, but cannot get any response
from pushing any of the trackball buttons.  If I switch to th÷?ù?DATA
mac mouse without rebooting, I see the same problem.  Mousemode
reports handler 47 for the trackball.

2)  If I boot with the mac standard mouse plugged into the adb
port, I get GPM's cursor immediately and pushing the mac
mouse's button begins selecting text, ie works right.
Mousemode reports handler 4 is being used.  If I unplug the
mouse and plug in the trackball, mousemode reports that handler
47 is now being used, I still have a gpm cursor and the button
events are as follows:
    button 1 - button 1 press and release as expected
    button 2 - 1st press = button 2 press, button 1 press
               1st release = button 2 release
               2nd press = button 1 release
               2nd release = nothing
    button 2 - press = button 1 press and button 2 press
               release = button 1 release and button 2 release

3)  If I remove the XLR8 card, boot up with the trackball
plugged in results in the mouse movement works fine, but the
button events are as ÷?ù?DATA
immediately above.

At this point my guess is that 47 is the wrong handler to use.
Can anyone confirm this is where my problem is, if it isn't can
they help point me in the right direction?  If it is, can
anyone tell me where I can learn more about mousemode and its
handlers so I can get my trackball working?

Thanks.

--
Scott McMahan
smcmahan@facstaff.wisc.edu