Re: X Success and New Questions

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:16:38AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, I finally got X up and running. My mouse works and everything. My
> next questions relate to the new input layer, as in, how did this come
> about? I know that it's related to the 2.4 kernel, but why does it also
> show up in the 2.2 series? How do you know if you have the new input
> layer? I know just because of trial and error that I have the new one.
> Is woody using the new layer? How do you compile a kernel to use the new
> or old layers?
  It came about because the previous setup was a mess.  It's in 2.4, and
some versions of 2.2, because USB input devices are pushed through it, as it
appears ADB can be in 2.4.  It provides a more consistant interface for
using input devices.  It also tries to move drivers into the kernel, instead
of having every device talking it's own protocol, needing X and gpm, etc to
support it. There's more information on the main page:
http://www.suse.cz/development/input/
  Hopefully the input layer will be merged in it's full glory as part of the
linuxconsole rework in progress for 2.5,. (linuxconsole.sourceforge.net)

  You should be able to tell if your kernel supports the input layer by
checking if charmajor 13 is registered for input in /proc/devices, or
watching the logs for the device attachment/detection messages.

  In 2.4 kernels there is an "Input core support" section which contains the
structure config options.  Then you'll heed to enable the input core using
drivers for your input devics, probably CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID aka: Use input
layer for ADB devices.  I'm not positive about this part because my PMac is
powered off at home right now.  I greped my x86 2.4 tree to find that.

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"The problem is that even if what they offer is 90
percent healthy and only 10 percent rat poison, the rat
poison is still going to kill you."

--Scott Hebner, director of e-business marketing at the
IBM Software Group, speaking about attempts to extend
open technologies using proprietary technology.