Re: Kernel 2.4.4 "wrong magic"

At 990091611s since epoch (05/17/01 07:26:51 -0400 UTC), David Schleef wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 12:00:58PM -0400, Jason Healy wrote:
> > Today I obtained kernel-image-2.4.4-1 from the unstable tree.  I installed
> > it, updated my yaboot.conf to point to the new kernel, and gave it a reboot.
> >
> > When the machine gets going, it starts to boot the kernel, and then dies,
> > unable to mount the root filesystem.  It says "wrong magic" and then panics.
>
> Make sure that it's trying to mount the correct partition and
> that the .config has your flavor of fs enabled.

I did some more checking, and it appears that a bug has been filed on this
already.  Apparently the i386 package was borrowed for the powerpc one, and
the i386 side just started using initrd.  Unfortunately, the powerpc side
isn't set to do the post-install setup required for an initrd setup, so it
breaks.

I just got sources and rolled it myself; all is well now.

Jason
--
Jason Healy    |     jhealy@logn.net
LogN Systems   |   http://www.logn.net/