Re: Success!! [was: BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor]

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 06:05:12PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 07:53:46PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > designed for anything but bootable CD's and floppies.  its useless for
> > bootable CDs since it requires non-free, non-distributable Apple CDROM
> > drivers.
> >
> Do we have anyone that could convince Apple to open this part of their old
> machines?

you mean OpenFirmware?  no.  it contains code which does not belong to
apple.  apparently newworld OF is more clear of such things but i
still think there is not a snowballs chance in hell that Apple will
release the source to OpenFirmware on any of thier machines as Free
Software.  (they have released nothing under a Free licence).

someone on irc has found a way to extract and decompress the OF
bootrom, decompress it, and decompile it.  perhaps we can reverse
engineer it enough to find the flaws and proper solutions.

> They obviously don't have any interest in them anymore, since OSX isn't
> supporting them....

they are interested in seeing them tossed into the nearest landfill so
that they may be replaced with nice new expensive G4s.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/