Re: Success!! [was: BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor]

Ethan Benson:

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 05:11:48PM -0400, basicprinting@earthlink.net wrote:
> My offer of (an Apple HDI-45 video adapter cable) or (MicroConversions
> 2124NBII 24-bit NuBus Card, AppleDB15 female) still stands.
>
> We desperately need to condense the 50+ ways to boot your DebianPowerMac.
> The current hodgepodge of incomplete and anectdotal reports on the mailing
> list is
> too disjointed to allow someone to author a comprehensive HOWTO.
> It is currently impossible to create one
> without a firm understanding of each unique instance,
> and its current status against the various Debian releases.
> The pool of potential authors is therefore very, very small.
>
> It would be a shame to let someone waste their time pondering & composing
> all the possible
> vagarities of a "kludge" or two when the actual goal is in a different
> paradigm.

The problem is there isn't anyone that has worked with all of the various
models with linux.

What we really need is a way to verify each report for which set of
machines.

In some cases there may have been past OF patching, and that needs to be
considered.

If a howto is written, it needs to have specific notes on each tested
model/OF combination.

We'll need to make sure that they've reset their Open Firmware, and start
from a "badblocks -w" disk.

Also, we need to choose a way to test the memory in the machines.  Memtest
only works on mlock-able memory, and that may not be acceptable.

Let's start a little verification toolset, and we can get some reliable
results.

Also, /proc/cpuinfo should be included in any reports.

Mike