Re: Another about installing on an oldworld mac

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 09:07:54AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > My first debian install was potato on my G4/450/AGP, and that went
> > relatively smoothly, but unfortunately, that's my work box, and I need to be
> > running MacOS 95% of the time on it, so I had to switch back after a few
> > days of playing with it...However, I've got an old Power Computing Powerwave
> > 132 that I've been trying to install debian on, without a whole lot of
> > success. I knew about the OF output to serial port issue beforehand, and
> > picked up a Griffin G4port serial port for my G4 so I could set up the Zterm
> > terminal app to talk to my Powerwave and tell it to send the output to the
> > video card and keyboard (since System Disk gave an error saying it didn't
> > work with my machine). I followed all the steps in both Apple's Open
> > Firmware Technote and NetBSD's MacPPC FAQ but have not been able to get the
> > output to display in Zterm despite trying every combination of settings I
> > could find, and even trying plugging into the printer serial port instead of
> > the modem port (purely out of desperation), to no avail. The Powerwave stops
> > booting in just the right place when I use the OF key combo, but nothing
> > shows up in the terminal. I'm totally stumped and haven't been able to find
> > any help anywhere else, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> I was successful in the end, with a PowerBase 180. BootVars (v1.3 is
> available in the current/powermac folder) worked to set the OF environment
> variables from MacOS. BTW, BootX crashed every time I tried it, both at
> startup and as an application, and System Disk told me the same thing.
> I have BootVars v1.4 but I forgot where I found it.

I had quik and OF booting working some of the time with a powerbase 200
but found that BootX worked ALL the time so I gave up and used that.
The whole serial port thing was too much work and too unreliable.  I
could never get quik to boot unattended into linux, but could do
that with bootx.

Seems to me you need a full bag of tricks to work with the PCI clones.
What works for some of us on some models never works for others on
other models.  YMMV.

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039
1.207.657.5078                                       http://www.maine.com/
Content management, electronic commerce, internet integration, Debian linux