[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Audio CDs on Titanium G4 Powerbook

On 08 May 2001 12:00:55 -0700, Rob Pfile wrote:
> Bastien Nocera writes:
>  > On 08 May 2001 11:04:53 -0700, Rob Pfile wrote:
>  > > 
>  > > David N. Welton <davidw@apache.org> writes:
>  > > > Rob Pfile <Rob.Pfile@riverstonenet.com> writes:
>  > > 
>  > > >> [use ide-scsi to use your cdrom for audio ripping]
>  > > 
>  > > > Does anyone have a moment to explay exactly why this makes it work?
>  > > 
>  > > I think the reason is that there is no IDE cdrom driver. there are,
>  > > however, lots of scsi drivers in the linux kernel, probably inherited
>  > > from other *nixes (BSD?). SCSI has been around for a long time and is
>  > > very popular, so that probably explains the wealth of drivers.
>  > 
>  > I don't know how I should treat somebody with an @apache.org e-mail
>  > address saying such huge bullshit.
> I dont know how i should treat somebody who is clueless enough to not
> understand who wrote the reply. I posted how to get your cdrom working
> for audio, davidw@apache.org asked the question about why ide-scsi is
> required, and i answered his question. notice the word "probably" in
> my reply? that indicates that i am taking a guess at an answer.

My bad. Still doesn't explain why you say that there are no IDE cdrom
drivers. Maybe not one that works with the TiPB (although I doubt it
considering that the ide-scsi emulation finds it), but there are IDE
cdrom drivers.

>  > There are IDE cdrom drivers in the kernel, and there are a lot of SCSI
>  > drivers mainly because each SCSI adapter/card interfaces in a different
>  > way with the system. Although SCSI is popular, Linux hasn't inherited
>  > from any other Unices because it doesn't share any common code with any
>  > of them (I'm talking about the kernel).
> Fine, thanks for the history lesson. enlighten us as to how to force
> linuxppc to recognize the cdrom drive in the tibook and attach an IDE
> cdrom driver to it. 
>  > > > ['eject' doesnt work]
>  > > 
>  > > i did strace() it but that was before i understood what was going on,
>  > > so i'll have to try it again.
>  > 
>  > The output of eject -v would be useful, probably showing a
>  > misconfiguration, before resorting to using strace.
> okay, i'll try that.
>  > > On the endianness front and bug-wise, it must be that there's no
>  > > uniform way for drivers to report what endianness they return the
>  > > audio data in. i cant think of any other reason why cdda2wav would
>  > > attempt to analyze the data. i dont know if cdda2wav or audiocd reader
>  > > are under active development, but i'll contact the authors.
>  > 
>  > cdda2wav works fine on PPC. I don't know about "audiocd reader".
> again, if you read my original post carefully, you'll notice that i
> said that it worked fine for many discs, and then i encountered one
> for which the same cdda2wav and lame setting produced white
> noise. then i READ THE SOURCE to cdda2wav and discovered that it TAKES
> A GUESS at the endianness of the data coming off of the cdrom. it
> guessed wrong 4 out of six tracks for the disc "hi scores" by the band
> "boards of canada". try it for yourself, i bet the same thing happens
> on an x86 box.

You can use the "-C big/little" flag to force cdda2wav to read the audio
in one endianess.

> seriously, can't we keep it constructive here? sorry i am replying to
> this post, but i just can't help myself :(

The "eject -v" wasn't useful ?


/Bastien Nocera

Reply to: