Re: reqs for vlc ?

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

} How is it supposed to read the data from disc without UDF support? ;)

I was hoping that vlc would take care of file system translation without
the need for kernel support, like hfsutils do ...

} There are Lombards with DVD drives? Sure it's not a Pismo?

No: the original Lombard 400's had DVD drives, as well as a hardware DVD
decoder.  And it does have the HDI SCSI port at the back, so it is not a
Pismo ;-)

} Playing DVDs will be the opposite of fun without the XVideo extension
} which is only in XFree86 4.x and only officially in the r128 driver.
}
} Besides, sound is choppy for me on a Pismo/400 with vlc, xine is
} better but video isn't smooth; see the other recent thread about this.

I hear you.  It is just that all of the machines I have use some flavour
of the ATI Mach64 chip, and the 2.2.** kernels allow me to do colour and
resolution switching on the command line and at boot time.  The kernel
drivers in 2.4.+ have not been as well behaved (at least for me) and it
was a little hard to jusitfy moving up to 2.4.+ without this hardware
working ...

Thanks much.

cheers
vinai