Re: Install on PBG3 pismo

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:54:38AM -0000, deeraeya deeraeya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install potato on my Powerbook G3 pismo.
>
> Today I got some friends to burn the iso CDs but there seems to be a problem
> with CD 1.  CD 2 & 3 mount ok in MacOS (9.0.4) but MacOS tries to initialize
> CD1.

its probably hosed then

> Thinking that the burn was a problem I looked at it on a linux box and it
> mounts fine with everything that is meant to be there.
>
> I have booted into Open Firmware and tried:
> boot cd:\\yaboot and
> boot cd:,\\yaboot (not sure about the , but it shows up on some howtos)

the latter is correct, but you should not need to boot yaboot manually
ever on r3 CDs.

> The first time I got "Bad Read"
> then it seemed to read the disk and went black followed by a little MacOS
> splash and then booted into MacOS.
> Now when I try this I get "unknown word".

CD1 is certainly corrupt.

> Hmm.
>
> BTW I have not set up the partitions yet - if that is the problem then it
> should correct itself.  Maybe there was a problem with the burn and I'll do
> it again - but it is strange that it all looks good from linux.

partitions do not enter into this problem

> Is there some secret to burning disk 1?

don't let macos or windows modify it.  its a special hfs/iso9660
hybrid.  you must just simply burn the .iso to a CD without modifying
it.  either the .isos are corrupt (i doubt it, others have already
used them sucessfully) or your mirror is corrupt, or your CD burning
software is crap.  i suspect the latter.

> My other question is regarding partitioning.  I am planning to run OS X as
> well in the not too distant future so when I use the MacOS cd disk utility
> to partition I'll be doing (6Gb HD)
>
> 2 GB for MacOS 9 (HFS+)

you must put this AFTER the Debian placeholder.

> 2 GB placeholder for Debian

you must put this BEFORE all MacOS partitions.

> 1.5 GB placeholder for MacOS X (Apple_UFS)
>
> I'm then expecting to boot debian from the CD and install into the 2 Gb -
> putting in 100 MB exchange, 50Mb root, 125 mb swap and 1.5 mb for usr, var
> etc.

this will work, but you need to put the debian placeholder first, so
that the 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition you must create will appear
before all macos partitions, this will save you much hassle.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/