Re: Printing info or man pages

On 9 Iyar 5761, Leyah Cynamon wrote:

> My personal laserwriter ntr (which is a postscript capable printer)
> runs via appletalk and is hooked up to, among other computers, my
> 7600/G3 running Debian GNU/Linux or Mac OS 9.0.4

That will work, but you will need some way to access it via Ethernet; I
don't think Linux supports LocalTalk in any useful fashion yet.  (I seem
to recall that the NTR is LocalTalk-only; if it has Ethernet capability
then disregard the next two paragraphs.)

I used to see LocalTalk->Ethernet bridges available all over the place
for ~US$100; haven't seen many lately, though.

I have an old Mac IIsi with an Ethernet card, running Mac OS 7.5.3 and
Apple's "LocalTalk Bridge" (available from Apple's Software Updates),
which existed solely to connect my Ethernet network to a LocalTalk
LaserWriter IIntx.  Recently I upgraded to a IIg which is
Ethernet-capable, so I was able to retire the bridge, but it worked
flawlessly for several months.  You may be able to find something
similar, for free or cheaper than a hardware bridge would cost.

Once you get that working (and install netatalk), if you can "nbplkup"
and see the LaserWriter, you're in business.  Setting up such a thing is
documented in a few places here and there, let us know if you don't find
it.  Have a look at the man page for papd (comes with netatalk).
--
Charles Sebold
--

 -- Quoted by Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>