Re: I sometimes lose 'q' key in profit of 'a' using mac-fr3 keymap...

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > I had the same problem.  If I remember right, the keyboard configuration
> > script loads the keymap from /usr/share/keymaps, then regenerates it
> > in /etc/console-tools.  The problem is that it is regenerated wrong: the
> > setting for the q key is not written.  Note the suspicious fact that q has
> > keycode 0.  This is clearly a bug in one of the console tools, one that
>
> keycode 0 is illegal on x86 (you'll find a long flame war on this topic in
> the l-k archives). You could change the kernel to remap keycode 0 to some
> spare keycode, and adjust the keymap to match. Or you could continue the
> 'keycode 0 is a valid keycode on some architectures so please fix
> console-tools' argument.
> Seeing how common sense (WRT to making incompatible changes and all) often
> loses, I'd go for the first option.

According to Andriew Brouwer there is a severe security problem with using
keycode 0, since it's reserved to mean something special somewhere in the
keyboard ioctls.

Note that Amiga still uses keycode 0. It's hard to break backwards
compatibility here...

Don't know how `keycode 0' is related to the new input subsystem though.
Perhaps that would solve the whole problem completely.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

P.S. Sorry, can't find Andries mail right now, so you have to ask him
     yourself if you can't find out.

							    -- Linus Torvalds