Re: compiling pgp 2.6.2

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 08:06:49PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:58:47PM -0500, W. Crowshaw wrote:
> > O.K. before I screw up compiling pgp 2.6.2 any further, I thought
> > I would ask if anyone out there has any advice on compiling it
> > for linux on the PowerPC.
>
>  Do you need pgp, or would it work to use gpg with the non-free package that
> includes the IDEA encryption module?  If you are just doing this for
> curiosity, or some other reason than wanting compatibility with old PGP,
> then never mind.  I haven't used pgp or gpg much, but I think gpg provides
> compatibility with old pgp signatures.

indeed it does, i think the only reason you need idea is for
decrypting old messages encrypted with it.  since pgp 2.x only used
idea anyone sending you encrpyted mail with it will necessitate that
you install the idea module.  i don't think its needed for verifying
signatures.  sending encrypted mail compatible with pgp 2.x also
requires it since it again only supported one module iirc.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/