Re: Debian packages for Mac-on-Linux in incoming

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:55:29AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> My first guess was /var, but since it is some sort of configuration setting, I
> think it belongs in /etc. The idea is that you can backup your configuration by
> backing up /etc. Hmmm... this stil doesn't backup yout list of installed
> packages.

i don't see it as a configuration setting, more like a library.  its
not variable data which is modified often, its mostly static (its only
changed when you upgrade MacOS), and archetecture dependent[0], given
these criteria it belongs in /usr{,local}/lib/mol.

> I guess /var is OK as well. Apache looks (or at least used to look for) the
> webpages in /var/www.

/var/www is very questionable IMO, and is not defined by the FHS,
actually unless the FHS recently blessed /var/www its a violation
since FHS states you can't arbirarily add things to the root level of
/var.  iirc the recent proposed update to the FHS defined something in
/ as the place for things like www, ftp, and such trees.

mol's nvram file would belong in /var since mol modifies it (i think)
at runtime, it does not however modify the ROM though so /var is
innappropriate.

[0] this is arguable since its quite conceivable that a
powerpc emulater running on an ultrasparc or pentium could use this
ROM file to boot MacOS on a non-powerpc, non-apple machine (ignoring
the fact that this violates Apple's EULA).  if you subscribe to this
line of reasoning then the ROM belongs in /usr{,local}/share/mol.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/