Re: debian-powerpc: can't install gnome-core/testing

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 12:24:33PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I'm trying to do an 'apt-get upgrade' on my PowerBook running
> Debian/Testing.  It complained when trying to upgrade some gnome
> packages.  This has been going on for a while now.  It seems that
> gnome-core depends on libcapplet0 is the culprit.  gnome-core requires
> version 1:1.4.0.1-3 but the latest seems to be version 1:1.4.0.1-2.  The
> apt-get error message is :
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   gnome-core: Depends: libcapplet0 (>= 1:1.4.0.1-3) but 1:1.4.0.1-2 is
> to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>
> Can I force this to install somehow or do I have to wait for libcapplet0
> to be upgraded to the required version ?

 If the package exists in unstable, read apt-preferences(8), add
APT::Default-Release "testing";  to apt.conf, add unstable repositories to
your sources.list, apt-get update, and
apt-get install libcapplet0/unstable gnome-core

(if necessary, you can use apt-get -t unstable to default to unstable
instead of testing for that invocation of apt-get only.  This is necessary
when there are a bunch of packages which depend on other unstable packages,
and you don't want to get them all by name, and you can hack your system out
of its misery if something goes horribly wrong. :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y