USB Mouse Problem

This is a pretty stupid question, given all the discussion of the new input
layer in the list, but I still don't know the answer. Here goes:

I've just installed debian on my rev. a beige g3. Everything works fine,
except, of course, that X (specifically xpmac.rev10) doesn't acknowledge my
usb mouse. The usb mouse and my usb card are properly detected by the kernel
during boot up, so this just seems to be a case of a debian newbie being hit
with the input layer changes. Unfortunately, I've read back posts on the
list, and haven't been able to discover how to fix this. I'm using Xpmac,
btw, because the X server installed by default is completely non-functional
on my machine. It displays garbage if it can be made to start at all, and as
I understand it, XF86 4 isn't accelerated on my machine anyways. I've
previously had success on the same machine with debian and Xpmac using an
adbmouse, but I have no desire to go back to that now that I have an optical
usb mouse. Is there any hope that this combination can be made to work? I'd
really appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks,

Matt