Re: Debian & MOSXServer

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 03:34:38PM +0200, Damien GUIHAL wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have a problem and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced it :
>
> I'm now using a G4-400 black&white. On it I've 2 IDE disks :
>
> - On the first disk there is MacOSXServer and it is partionned as follows :
[snip]

> -On the second disk there is Debian PPC with the bootstrap partion :
>
> /dev/hdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                      63 @ 1          ( 31.5k)  Partition map
> /dev/hdb2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                  54 @ 64         ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hdb3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh                  74 @ 118        ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
> /dev/hdb4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                  54 @ 192        ( 27.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                  74 @ 246        ( 37.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb6         Apple_Bootstrap Apple_Bootstrap          1600 @ 320        (800.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb7                    Swap Swap1                  262144 @ 1920       (128.0M)  Unknown
> /dev/hdb8                    Swap Swap2                  260544 @ 264064     (127.2M)  Unknown

just a note on these swaps, the 2.2 kernels no longer have a
limitation on 128MB swap partitions, so there is no need to have two
128 swaps instead one 256MB.  also swap partitions are supposed to be
type Apple_UNIX_SVR2 name: swap, but this only matters to debian's
dbootstrap which will refuse to see your swap partitions, after that
point it doesn't really matter.

> /dev/hdb9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home                 4194304 @ 524608     (  2.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hdb10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var                  1433600 @ 4718912    (700.0M)  Linux native
> /dev/hdb11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                     6503936 @ 6152512    (  3.1G)  Linux native
>
> Here is my problem : When the G4 is launch the screen is at 640*480 as stays on it until the linux kernel boots (and then it switch to 1024*768 : I've a 17" monitor). But the point is when I launch MacOSXServer it keeps the 640*480, and i need to login, change the resolution, logout nd relogin to be back in 1024*768. SoI'd like to know if there is a workaround in yaboot/ybin to be able to boot at 1024*768 (or another solution). Here is my yaboot.conf (minus the commented line, the post is long enough :-)) :

yaboot or the ybin ofboot script does anything to the screen
resolution, i don't know if there is any such Forth method to do so.
MacOS 9 is able to set something in the nvram which causes the
resolution to be remembered and OF then boots into that resolution
immediately.  apparently OSX server does not know how to set this, and
AFAIK it cannot be set from linux userland either.  (and the kernel
obviously never touches nvram).

unfortunatly the only thing i can suggest you do is attach a disk
containing MacOS 9, boot it, set the resolution to what you want, then
remove the MacOS disk and don't reset your nvram.  unless BenH knows
how to set the resolution stored in nvram or someone knows a Forth
method to set it i don't think there is anything that can be done.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/